Sunday, June 18, 2023

Just to give you a taste of what I'm working on for this week's post, here's, er, a taste of what I'm working on for this week's post

HINT: We want to be thinking about those Stanley Drucker "moments" of outsize creativity we heard NY Phil principal violist Cynthia Phelps citing in last week's post ("Still remembering Stanley Drucker (who's got me hearing voices -- including a lot from one source"), and also those "voices" I started talking about. I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to work those in. I guess we'll find out. -- Ken

MAHLER: Songs from "Des Knaben Wunderhorn":
"Lob des hohen Verstandes" ("In Praise of High Intellect")

Once in a deep valley,
a cuckoo and nightingale
struck a wager:
Whoever would sing a masterpiece,
whether he won by art or luck,
he would win the best.

The cuckoo spoke: "If you consent,
I have chosen a judge."
And he instantly appointed the ass.
"For since he has two large ears,
he can hear all the better,
and know what is right."

Soon they flew before the judge.
When he was told about the matter,
he decreed that they should sing.
The nightingale sang out sweetly!
The ass spoke: "You confuse me!
Hee-haw! Hee-haw!
I can't get it into my head."

Thereupon the cuckoo immediately began
his song with thirds, fourths, and fifths.
It pleased the ass, who said only: "Wait!
I will pronounce your judgment.

"You have sung well, nightingale!
But cuckoo, you sing a true anthem!
And held the beat precisely!
I say that from my great wisdom!
And even if it costs a whole country,
I thus pronounce you the winner."
Cuckoo, cuckoo! Hee-haw!
-- translation by Cecilia H. Porter
Team X

Team Y

Team Z

No comments:

Post a Comment